February 10th, 2020
Committee will choose candidates
A nominating committee will meet Tuesday, March 10, 2020, at 9:30 a.m. at the headquarters office of North Arkansas Electric Cooperative, Inc. in Salem, Arkansas, to nominate two candidates for election to the cooperative's board of directors. The cooperative's annual meeting will be held Thursday, June 4, 2020, at the Salem Civic Center. Members of the Nominating Committee, appointed in accordance with Article IV, Section 4 of the cooperative's bylaws are: Joe Dillard, Baxter County; James Elbert, Izard County; Jeremy Stone, System-at-Large; Marcus Walling, Sharp County; Teddy York, Fulton County; Terry Harris, alternate; and Carol Johansen, alternate.
The following bylaws summary pertains to annual meetings, board representation, and nomination and election procedures for electing directors.
Article III: Meeting of Members
- Section 1. The annual meeting of the members shall be held each year at such time and place in the counties of Baxter, Fulton, Izard and Sharp, State of Arkansas, as shall be designated in the notice of the meeting.
- Section 2. Special meetings of the members may be called by at least two-thirds of the directors or upon a written request signed by at least ten percent of all members.
- Section 3. Written notice of meetings of members stating the purpose of the meeting shall be delivered or mailed to each member not less than ten days nor more than thirty days before the date of the meeting.
- Section 4. Two percent of the members present in person shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business at all meetings of the members.
- Section 5. Each member shall be entitled to one vote only on each matter submitted to a vote.
Article IV: Directors
- Section 1. The Board of Directors shall consist of nine directors, who shall have the authority to manage the business and affairs of the cooperative.
- Section 2. Directors are elected by a plurality vote of the members. Each director shall be eligible to serve a six (6) year term, with the number of years of service as a director not to exceed a total of 3 elected terms.
- Section 3. A director (a) shall be a member of the cooperative; (b) shall not be employed by or financially interested in a competing enterprise or a business selling electric energy or supplies to the cooperative; (c) shall not be employed within the last 3 years in any capacity with the cooperative or any subsidiaries.
- Section 4. The Board of Directors shall appoint a nominating committee not more than 150 days before the date of a meeting of the members at which directors are to be elected. The committee shall consist of not less than 5 nor more than 11 members selected to give equitable representation to all geographic areas served by the cooperative. No officer or Board member may serve on such committee. The committee shall prepare and post at the principal office, at least 60 days before the meeting, a list of nominations for directors. The membership may make other nominations by petition signed by not less than 100 members of the cooperative and delivered to the secretary not less than 60 days prior to the meeting. The petition form shall be provided by the cooperative and made available at cooperative offices and website. Click here to open a PDF of the 2020 petition. (Trouble viewing petition? Download Adobe Acrobat Reader.)
- Section 5. It shall be the duty of the board of directors to provide voting methods to enable the members to vote for the nominated directors in a fair, impartial and understandable manner.
- Section 6. Vacancies occurring in the Board of Directors between annual meetings of the members of the cooperative shall be filled by a majority vote of the remaining directors. Directors thus elected shall serve until the next annual meeting of the members or until their successors shall have been elected and shall have qualified.
‹ All News